Tuesday 22 June 2010

Yarn review- Colinette Jitterbug

At the start of the year I bought some Jitterbug in the Forest colourway from Get Knitted (review at some point) to keep me amused during Jury service. It was, and probably still is the prettiest yarn I have owned.
s
Jitterbug is a merino yarn and sold as a sock yarn, it is a bit thicker than many other sock yarns, coming in at 267m per 100g hank (usually around 400m for sock yarns), so two skeins would probably be needed to make socks with some left over. I made a Travelling Woman shawl with a fair chunk left over for sock yarn blanket squares, there would not have been enough for an extra pattern repeat though.
s
The yarn is lovely to work with and has the advantage of being labelled as easy care (wash at 30 degrees and dry on low). I have not tried this out yet, and as I made a scarf it would be no hassle to handwash, but for socks this is a definite plus so I hope it is true, no way I am handwashing lots of socks!
s
As yarns go it is quite reasonably priced, it is about £10 for a 100g skein, a little more expensive than some options, but also not the most expensive by a long way.
s
There are a lot of colourways available, they all have similar short colour repeats but with wide variations in colour, a drawer of beautiful socks (or anything else) could definitely be made.
s
In the skein:
s
s
Knitted up into a travelling woman:
s

The yarn took blocking well and I wore it most days during the winter once it was ready, obviously it is too hot at the minute but it is waiting by the door for scarf season.
In spite of having a lot of use there has been very little fuzzing up of the knitting (not sure what the technical term for that should be, you know, when it goes all fuzzy)
Unfortunately when I went back for more the shop did not have the same colourway, there are lots of suppliers online so I will have a look around for some more. I will most likely buy some more in the future, so I would recommend it, but will probably use it for scarves/shawls rather than socks due to its fairly thick nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment