I have had both the yarn and the pattern for this project for a long time. The pattern was a Christmas gift last year and has been in my queue for even longer. The yarn was from a destash, it had been waiting for this pattern.
I promised myself I could wind the yarn and start this when I had handed in a big project at Uni. It was a good day!
About six weeks later (I got distracted by other projects) it is done and ready to wear.
Pattern: Brandywine shawl by Rosemary Hill
Yarn: Wollmeise 100% merino
Needles: 3.5mm metal interchangables
The pattern is clear and easy to use. There is a large amount of garter stitch which makes it easy knitting. The pattern is fairly easy to remember, it did take a few repeats though, but that might just be my lousy memory. Some of the purchase price is even donated to charity, how good is that?!
I did extra repeats of Chart B as I had lots of yarn after the suggested fifteen. It has twenty two repeats, I probably could have got another one, maybe two, but did not want to risk running out on the bind off.
I even blocked it. Lace is pretty much the only thing I block. Have to say, blocking lace is like a magic trick, from sad scrunchy thing to beautiful knitting. It is too wide to get a decent picture, this is as much as I could get (it has just been pointed out to me that this picture looks like a giant pair of pants). Foot thrown in for free.
Detail of the lace work. I wove the ends in after blocking as I did not want to weave them in then find they stopped the knitting from stretching.
The Wollmeise is very nice. It was almost cotton like in the skein but has softened up after washing and blocking. The stitch definition is clear and it holds the blocking beautifully. It is expensive though. Not totally sold on it as I think there are other, more affordable, yarns that are just as lovely. I picked this skein up in a destash for a reasonable price (£18 I think, it was a long time ago).