I have chosen a pattern that was not on my original list, but since my personal challenge is to knit through the 2kg of aran yarn that I was gifted that is within my own rules for the challenge. I had planned to make the Irish Boot socks, I thought they were knee high wellington boot socks but it turns out they are ankle length socks. I subbed in Toirneach Kilt Hose instead as I want to make some knee highs, but am too lazy to make them in 4 ply sock yarn.
They are going well, I have done a little more than in the picture, I am part way down the k5p1 rib section that makes up the leg, but it was not really interesting enough to warrant another photo.
The decorative cuff folds down over the top of the k1p1 ribbing that holds the sock up. To make this work you have to work the ribbing then turn the work inside out, I added a wrap around the last stitch of the round before making the turn to help close the gap that appears.
I am using the sizing from the pattern, but will reduce the length of the leg after doing the calf decreases. I have chubby legs that it seems are not far off the measurements for a fully grown adult male (think shire horse rather than thoroughbred, actually think shetland pony, I am short too!), ah well, never mind.
I secretly suspect these will not be flattering, but they are for wearing inside wellies so no one will actually see them.
In other YOP news I am a little concerned about my Hemlock ring blanket, I tried to lay it flat this week and it is seriously lumpy, I can't see how I will ever block it flat. I am toying with the idea of blocking it first as I would hate to dye it and then find it can't be blocked out and has to be frogged. I had a little look on other Ravelry projects for it (I LOVE Ravelry!) and generally a lot of scruchy things were blocked to be beautiful, but one knitter did frog hers, so it could still go either way.