Hurrah! The knitting is done on my Hemlock ring blanket, which means I have also finished the first ball of my year of projects yarn. I used about 50g from a second ball to do one stocking stitch round and the bind off.
For the bind off I chose an applied i cord bind off following the instructions in Knitty. I am pleased with the choice as it is much less frilly than the pattern bind off and it is quite fun to work, even so it got somewhat boring and I had to do the bind of in four sittings. It looks better than a plain bind off as there are several lines of stitches going across the work.
The big reveal is somewhat lacking today:
Blocking is definitely needed to make this look decent, but lace usually does. I am holding out on blocking bacause I need more pins and because I am planning to dye this. I don't know if I am going to keep it or gift it so the dyeing requires some thought. Currently I am thinking of dipping it slowly into the dye pot from the centre so the colour fades towards the edges, but I don't know what colour to go for, maybe greys. It will probably not reappear on YOP until it has been dyed.
This also means I get to cast on my next project so I am going back to look at my list of ideas and see what I fancy.