Thursday 2 June 2011

Pastels ain't my thing

But I quite like this anyway.


I bought some hand dyed roving from an indie dyer (it is good to support other indies). I had pictured it as mostly purple and grey but it spun up much more pink and pastelly. Although I had split the roving into three to make a three ply I decided to use some dark purple I already had for one of the plies instead, it made it more "me" and less pastelly (I'm sure that should be a word), you can see it here.

That left one third of the roving unspun so after letting it hang around for a little while I decided to use it up. I spun a fairly loose skinny single then navajo plied it. It has come out quite nicely soft and squishy, although my efforts to avoid over spinning have gone the other direction in a few places and it is a little fluffy and underspun.

I need to find a good handspun project, I have lots of small skeins (20g or so) of various colours and thicknesses that I have spun and then don't know what to do with.

5 comments:

  1. Most projects on my Ravelry page are from my handspun...look there for some inspiration. I think your your looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of bits of handspun, too. One day I'm going to make one heck of a blanket ;-)

    Pretty yarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a great project for small amounts of handspun...a Moebius. I think I'll make one with some purple/yellow handspun I have hanging around here. Gotta go rinse some fleece now though. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about doing one of the top-down cardigans as a way to play with the smaller amounts of handspun -- I have seen some on Ravelry where they use the handspun in stripes around the collar yoke and it looks great.

    I love the purple yarn, though I know what you mean about getting too pastelly :-)

    ReplyDelete