Wednesday 4 August 2010

WIP Wednesday- In reality and in my head

No post yesterday as I have not been yarn shopping lately and have run out of things to review, so I thought I would do a WIP Wednesday instead. Have seen these on a few other blogs but don't usually do them as either it would be the same thing week after week or the WIP item would be the FO item for the same week.
s
First up is the WIPs that actually exist in a currently being made form:
s
Unknown superwash fibre being spun into thin singles. Will make a 2 ply then dye the finished yarn for socks. It is the first proper thing I have spun on my wheel and is a bit further on than in the photo, I am about half done.
s
s
Orange fibre from a craft fair near Woburn Hall being drop spindled into thin singles. Will most likely finish spinning this on my wheel. Think the drop spindle still has its uses, but I love the speed of the wheel!
s
s
Sock yarn blanket the second (or maybe cushion cover). A tenstitch blanket to use up the larger amounts of sock yarn I tend to have left over.
s
s
The continental hat, aka the techniques topper. I decided I should try to learn Continental knitting, it is meant to be faster and easier for colourwork after all. This hat is my training piece. Have about got the hang of it but don't really find it comfortable, so at least half the knitting has been done English style. Other techniques practised are making the pattern up as I go and knitting in public. Hat is further up than in the photo, almost all the way to the top, but I am thinking about ripping it back and making the top section longer.
s
s
Sock yarn blanket, my personal goal of a square a week is helping this to come along nicely, otherwise it risks being forgotten at times followed by lots of squares. The left edge (on the photo) has been declared a finished edge so I am trying to work it up to a triangle, then will add squares down the right side until it is large enough. I really must sew some ends in!
s
s
There is also a clapotis that is currently in hibernation, I broke the needle I need to work on it. And I am not overly keen on the yarn so am not in a hurry to get back to it.
s
s
Next are the WIPs in my head, firstly the ones that have stash waiting:
Trial socks- I made socks for my Dad last Christmas, and they wore holes through in about 4 wears, I have some 6ply Regia coming so need to make a test pair and see if they stand up the wear better.
Mitts- Have decided that my most favourite hand dyed yarn should become mitts rather than socks.
Cowl- need to do some stash reduction and this will make a standby Christmas present.
Stash busting blanket- bought a supply of yarn to make boot socks, now I know it only stands up to 4 wears I am not using it for socks, so it is going to end up as a blanket.
Ring of roses fibre to spin- sock yarn of course.
Ashby show fibre- not sure, probably thin but unlikely to be socks as not superwash.
Mmmmm, purple fibre to spin- not sure, most likely socks or a small scarf/shawl.
Ducky socks 1- these need yarn dyed before I can knit them
Fibre file- trial spin of lots of fibres to see how they work up.
Suffolk fleeces- to wash, card and spin
ETA- 2 197 yards of heaven, one in a blue silk, the other in red manos del Uraguay
s
And the WIPs that are not even stash yet:
Ducky socks 2- also needs yarn dyed but I don't have enough undyed left at the minute.
Mythos- pattern from knitty, need to buy yarn, dye it then knit.
Christmas socks- if the wear test goes ok then I have a couple of pairs of socks to make as Christmas gifts.
ETA- Pile of preemie hats- yarn on the way as a RAK
s
Well, I think that is enough to keep me busy for at least the next two years, so will try not to add any more to the list until I have at least shifted some of these (yeah right, believe that when I see it! :D )
s
Oh and despite of all that I am grumping that I have nothing to knit- got to catch the bus to work in a minute and nothing to take with me! (Do you think my wheel could travel on the bus?)

No comments:

Post a Comment