Tuesday 8 June 2010

Yarn review- Opal 4 ply

I have run out of shops to review, but since I quite like doing these I thought I would move on to other things, this week it is yarn.
s
I think this was the first non acrylicy yarn I bought when I started knitting.
s
It is made from 75% wool and 25% polyamide, is machine washable and knits up on 2.5mm needles. 100g gives approximately 425m and there is a huge range of colours, although they all seem to be self patterning to some degree. There are also themed ranges like Harry Potter and Rainforest.
s
I bought mine off ebay a couple of years ago, so I can't remember what I paid, but a quick google shows the price ranges from about £6.50 to £8.50 for a 100g ball. I think that makes it one of the cheaper sock yarns available. It is also pretty good value, I got two pairs of short ankle socks out of one ball with even enough scraps for some sock yarn blanket squares.
s
It is not the softest and most smooshy of yarns, but it makes comfy socks with no itchiness or tickling. I think this is more than reasonable since a very soft yarn would not last more than a few minutes as socks.
s
The socks have stood up well to wearing so far, there are slightly fuzzy felty bits at the points of high wear, but that seems reasonable and no holes so far (fingers crossed).
s
s
Opal also do a 6 ply range and a 4 ply Schafpate range which uses wool from a rare breed sheep (German Schafpate).

No comments:

Post a Comment