Wednesday 30 June 2010

Greenhouse dyeing

At knit group a while back we were talking about how some people dye yarn in their car on hot days and every time I have got in the car for the last two or three weeks I have thought about it, but not got round to organising some.
s
On Monday I had a bit of a dyeing session (photos to come on FO Friday), as I was handpainting roving I thought I would try a small sample. The car was at work with my OH so I decided to use my mini greenhouse instead. I have tried it for rising bread dough in the past, which worked well so I thought it had potential.
s
The handpainting and wrapping clingfilm was done in the usual way, then I sat it on a roof tile that was hanging around the garden and put it in to cook.
s
To show you it really is a greenhouse (the dye parcel is the slightly sad looking bundle top left):
s
s
Dye parcel in close up, I closed the door and left it for about 24 hours, with just occasional prodings and temperature checks.
s
s
Since it did not puff up in the way of a stove top steamed parcel I put a thermometer in with it to have an idea of how hot it got. Not that I know how hot it needed to be.
s
s
The moment of truth was the next morning when I unwrapped it. To be honest I was expecting a lot of mess with dye running everywhere but was pleasantly suprised to find very little residual dye, a little more than a typical steamed parcel, but still not much and the colours stayed nice and strong.
Even when I gave it a wool wash soak only a little extra came out:
s
s
The weather was good yesterday, so I dried it outside without any trouble.
s
s
There's about 10g there, not sure what it will be, but that is for another day. I am keen to get spinning it but am trying to resist as I already have a spinning project on the go.
s
I will definitely be giving greenhouse dyeing another go, it seems to work and after all its free heat, better for the environment and gives something to talk about.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful idea! I also have a greenhouse like yours and will definately give this a try:)
    Thank you so much for posting on Creative Friday
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I attempted outdoor dyeing today using saran wrap but the down side of that is landfill waste so...your idea is better.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete