Friday 27 April 2012

FO Friday- Mr Greenjeans cardigan

I have not been posting year of projects updates. Mostly because I haven't had time to look at all the blog posts and it doesn't seem fair to post mine and not look around. I am still working my way through those giant balls of yarn though.

The octopus and trilobite form the last two weeks were made using the yarn, and I have finally finished one of my larger projects. This has been on the go for months.


Pattern: Mr Greenjeans by Amy Swenson
Yarn: Wendy Traditional aran, overdyed by me
Needles: 4.5mm and 5.0mm interchangables
Mods: 4 buttons and holes instead of one, because the whole single button thing does not look good on me. Mostly it makes me look pregnant, which I am not. Second half of the cables worked as C4B to make a mirrored effect (because I am a tad OCD).

Aside from the buttons and cable direction I worked the pattern as written. It is a super pattern, well written and easy to follow. I have said before how great Knitty patterns are, it is an undeniable fact (well, deny it if you want I will not be swayed, they are great and free!).

If I were to make this again I would divide for the armholes a little sooner. There is more fabric than necessary around the upper arm area. The sleeves are maybe an odd length, I can't decide, this is possibly because I have a habit of pushing sleeves up over the elbow.

The yarn is not the softest, it is ok next to skin but more comfy over another layer. I am beyond chuffed with the colour, I love this dark red and am pleased with how evenly the large batch of yarn took the dye. For the cabled section I switched skein every two rows, the rest I risked it and worked solid sections. You can see the changes between the skeins, but only if you look for it.

Not easy to see, but the buttons have a cute little flower pattern on. I am not good at picking buttons for projects, but am quite pleased with these.


There is still quite a bit of the yarn left, both red and white so the Year of Projects continues. I need to do a pattern search to see what suits the amount I have left.

6 comments:

  1. The color looks beautiful - nice job! Also - love the fit on the sweater. I like the four button look better, too - really cinches in the waist nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love how the cabling on the bottom half makes it looked ribbed, only so much more sophisticated. It's very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! I love it. Switching the directions of the cables is the sort of thing I would do (and did, on the last pair of gloves I made, as the pattern made two identical gloves, rather than a complimenting pair). The colour is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sweater. I'm adding it to my favorites...one day I may knit this even if it's for my daughter.

    You did a great job and I adore that color too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I know where the aran yarn came from, and the previous owner would approve. The colour is abso gorgeous, well done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome colour - you should be pleased with that! I agree with you about the one button thing; that sort of swing-y cardigan doesn't suit me either. Looks like it fits beautifully! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete