Tuesday 17 August 2010

Shop review- Uppingham yarns

I had to rectify my lack of yarn shopping, so jumped on the chance to go on a yarn shop road trip with a couple of the knit group ladies.
s
We went over to Uppingham yarns, as the name suggests it is in Uppingham, just South of Rutland Water.
s
This shop is really one for the machine knitters, there is one smallish room of hand knitting yarn, quite a bit of acrylic. Some nice alpaca and a few other bits to choose from though. Definite shortage of delicious sock yarns when we visited.
s
For the machine knitters there's three (yes THREE) rooms jammed with cones, everything you can think of- all sorts of fibres and colours. Even novelty sparkly ones and stretchy ones.
The was also a bit of spinning fibre, silk mostly in various forms including bricks (I think someone on Ravelry was looking for those).
s
I don't know the going rate for machine cones, although it seemed fairly bargainous in terms of "ohhh, that's a lot of yarn for a smallish amount of money". The hand knitting stuff seemed fairly standard price wise, obviously it depends on the fibre, but in the region of £4 for 50g. Prices and range are on the website if you want to see before you visit to squish. I would probably recommend that for hand knitters, especially if it is going to be a long drive, just so you know what you are going to find.
s
This made us laugh, knitted bullet proof vests anyone?
s
s
And because I can't go in a yarn shop without buying anything, I got two balls of "super alpaca" in a purply brown type colour. It is a nice yarn, but I chose it mostly because I thought the name was awesome, it gives me the urge to draw an alpaca in a cape!
s s
Because I am a little dopey (and was distracted by heading to the pub for some chips) I forgot to take a photo of the shop itself, there is a picture on their website though.

Uppingham also has an excellent sweet shop, one with big jars of sweeties, definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment