Tuesday 31 August 2010

Adventures in colourwork- part one

The next skill on the knitting hit list is colourwork. Last month I had a go at learning continental knitting in preparation, it was ok but not overly successful. Fortunately the knit stitch is not too awkward although purling feels like wrestling a grumpy hedgehog, but I am aiming for patterned socks I think I can get away with this as not purling should be needed once the top ribbing is done.
s
I have also signed up to a project-a-long group on Ravelry (knitting, crochet, swatching, stash downing, wip wrestling). One of the projects is a swatch square each month to test skills for the KAL the following month. I was trying out a plan to make a swatch alternating between colours with every stitch, this is based on a sock pattern I saw on Ravelry, I can't find it again so I can't link it.
s
s
Unfortunately it didn't work too well in garter stitch. It would look nice in stocking stitch, but that means purling with both colours. I finished off the techniques trial doing stripes of each. Purling was needed but the larger chunks made it easier (worked both colours English style).
s
I have high hopes for the socks next month, it seems doable but maybe very slow going, I can cast on tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. If you bring spare needles/yarn tomorrow I can get you sorted on continental and combi purling

    ReplyDelete